I think that I am one of those few weird people in the world who actually considers ordering chicken tortilla soup every time I go to a Mexican restaurant, instead of nachos, enchiladas, or chimichangas. I can’t help it though. As much as I love a good plate of nachos, I love tortilla soup even more. And when I get to load it up with cheese, sour cream, and avocado? Yep, I’m sold. You can have the nachos.
A friend of mine recently opened my eyes to cream based chicken tortilla soup, as opposed to tomato based (Thanks Rachel!). I’ve largely avoided it in the past, because let’s be honest, cream based soups aren’t gonna help me fit into that bridesmaid dress for Melly’s wedding! But, my uneducated mind didn’t realize that the majority of creamy tortilla soups use cream of chicken, not half and half, to create their soup base. Soooo…after googling around through a bunch of different recipes today, I grabbed some cream of chicken from the cupboard, threw in whatever else was in the pantry, and LOVED the result. Mom and Dad approved too! Enjoy!
Yield: 8 healthy servings
– 1 onion, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
– 2 cans cream of chicken
– 2 C of milk
– 1 C of fat free half and half
– 4 C of chicken stock
– 1 can of yellow corn
– 1 C crushed tomatoes
– 1 can of creamed corn
– 1 can of diced green chilies
– 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 package of fajita seasoning
– 2 tsp cumin (to taste)
– 2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
Optional Toppings: cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips & avocado
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over low-medium heat for approximately 3-5 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in large soup pot mix together cream of chicken, milk, half and half and chicken stock. Stir together well.
- Add in 2 cans of corn, crushed tomatoes, chicken, chilies, garlic/onion mix and black beans. When well combined, stir in fajita seasoning and spices.
- Allow soup to simmer for at least one hour before serving, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with toppings of your choice and enjoy!